We love traveling on weekends and with your little one it is super fun. We bought our car last year when my baby was 5 months old and the first thing before going for weekends and outing was buying a car seat for my baby.
It takes time for baby to get use to it but it is the best decision for your little one as safety comes first. Using a car seat is the best way to protect your baby from unintentional injury when traveling by car. We are using car seat from more than a year now, at times it’s not so easy when baby wants to jump out of car seat but you need to calm baby by toys and playing with her/him. You can always carry baby’s favorite toys and snacks so that they are more happy and enjoy traveling. It is a blessing when you plan long road travel with toddler and you need both safety and comfort for you and baby. Just amke sure and read some details before you buy car seat for your baby.
Let’s discuss some points related car seat
Type of car seat
- Choose your baby car seat by checking all the important features as safety, comfort and cushions provided.
- Car seat comes in many types like normal one which needs to be strapped with seat belt and one with ISOFIX mounts (ISOFIX is the international standard for attachment points for child safety seats in passenger cars), ISOFIX is not there is all the cars so you need to check according to your car.
- Rear facing car seats for infants until they complete one year, weight wise 10 kg. Keep using the rear facing position until the baby meets the weight and height measurements as per manufacture’s instructions.
- You can move to forward facing once the baby meets age limit and height that would be 10 kg and above when your baby is one year or above.
- You can move to booster seat with shoulder strap once kid is 4-year-old around 18 kg.
Installing car seat
- Do not rush to install car seat first properly read the instruction manual provided with car seat .
- Check your baby weight and height.
- Best place for car seat is back seat as front seat have aribags and in case of unforeseen circumstance airbags will push the car seat.
- Once installed properly check the seat belt and tighten it.
- Check the tilt position according to baby. Car seat comes with different tilt position setting according to baby age.
- You can check the car manual for proper information to place and install car seat.
Baby safety and comfort
- Place your baby in-car seat and buckle up the straps.
- The harness straps should be snug fir at baby shoulders.
- The waist and shoulder straps should give a proper fit, not too loose nor too tight that baby feels uncomfortable.
- Car seat position should be according to baby weight and age.
- Do not use extra features that are not provided with car seat as head huger, comfort straps and trays, it can affect baby safety.
- Don’t but anything under or beside baby if it’s cold, you can put blanket over the baby once he is properly seated in-car seat.
- Avoid extra and fluffy clothes when baby is in-car seat, as it is uncomfortable.
- Do not leave your baby alone in-car seat when you are leaving your car.
- Keep a look when to change car seat according to baby age, weight and height.
So here I have shared some important details for buying a car seat and how important it is for you and your baby as per my experience its better to be safe then sorry. Hope my post helps you in deciding to buy car seat, leave a comment if you have any questions.